Nothing says special occasion like serving crab and caviar. Curtis Stone mixes uptown seafood with downtown potato chips for Christmas finger food with mass appeal.
The ingredient of Homemade crisps with crab and caviar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 500g chat potatoes, cut crossways into 2mm slices, rinsed, and drained
- Canola oil, for deep frying
- Fine sea salt
- 1kg whole Antarctic King Crab Legs, shells discarded, meat picked, squeezed dry, coarsely chopped (400g of meat)
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Small pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons caviar, for garnish (optional)
The instruction how to make Homemade crisps with crab and caviar
- In a large heavy pot, combine the vinegar and 2 litres of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes, or until the potatoes are translucent. Remove and drain thoroughly on kitchen paper.
- In a separate large heavy pot, add enough oil to reach a depth of 10cm. Bring the oil to 160C.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix the crab, creme fraiche, lemon zest and juice, and cayenne pepper. Season to taste with salt. Set aside.
- Working in batches, fry the potatoes for about 5 minutes, or until they are crispy and golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the crisps to a baking tray lined with kitchen paper. Immediately season the crisps with the salt.
- Lay the crisps on a serving platter. Top each crisp with 1 tablespoon of the crab mixture. Garnish each with a sprinkle of the chives and small dollop of optional caviar. Serve immediately. Alternatively, place the potato chips, crab mixture, and garnishes out and encourage guests to build their own.
Nutritions of Homemade crisps with crab and caviarcalories: